4/23/2019 Giovanna Faleschini Lerner and Italian class of 2019

Congratulations to the Class of 2019

Our students of Italian share their stories as they prepare to graduate from F&M.  Grazie e auguri a tutti e tutte!

Alex Collins in Rome

• I decided to study Italian because I took a few classes in high school and was interested in expanding my language skills and knowledge of Italian culture. My experience in Italian classes at F&M was always positive. I looked forward to seeing my professors and classmates every day as they made me feel increasingly confident in my speaking ability, which is one of the reasons why I chose to pursue a minor in Italian here. I spent a semester abroad in Milan with a host family and got to completely immerse myself in Italian culture and the language. Italian at F&M has really expanded my worldview and skills and I hope to continue speaking in the future. I decided to study Italian because I took a few classes in high school and was interested in expanding my language skills and knowledge of Italian culture. My experience in Italian classes at F&M was always positive. I looked forward to seeing my professors and classmates every day as they made me feel increasingly confident in my speaking ability, which is one of the reasons why I chose to pursue a minor in Italian here. I spent a semester abroad in Milan with a host family and got to completely immerse myself in Italian culture and the language. Italian at F&M has really expanded my worldview and skills and I hope to continue speaking in the future.

AnnMarie DiCarlo in Pisa 

• I decided to study Italian, and minor in it, because of my desire to learn more about my family’s culture and heritage. I took Italian in high school, but knew there was so much more I wanted to learn. The ability to connect and speak with others different from myself is important, and what better way to do it than in another language!

I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to study abroad in Vicchio, a small town outside Florence, with the “F&M in Tuscany” program. My experience with the Italian Department in Vicchio is something I’ll never forget. I watched myself grow as a person and student as I was able to go outside my comfort zone.  Using what F&M professors have taught me, I was able to go into the community of Vicchio to learn more about the town's culture and to create bonds and relationships with the local residents there, all while using the new language I’ve been studying.

Italian classes have been challenging, yet so rewarding. I have been able to read famous Italian plays, perform skits in Italian, and write analytical papers on Italian texts. I have been consistently encouraged by my classmates and professors to work my hardest.

Next year, I will be working for a staffing and recruiting firm in New York City. I hope to be able to continue speaking Italian, and look forward to my next trip back to Italy! I decided to study Italian, and minor in it, because of my desire to learn more about my family’s culture and heritage. I took Italian in high school, but knew there was so much more I wanted to learn. The ability to connect and speak with others different from myself is important, and what better way to do it than in another language! I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to study abroad in Vicchio, a small town outside Florence, with the “F&M in Tuscany” program. My experience with the Italian Department in Vicchio is something I’ll never forget. I watched myself grow as a person and student as I was able to go outside my comfort zone. Using what F&M professors have taught me, I was able to go into the community of Vicchio to learn more about the town's culture and to create bonds and relationships with the local residents there, all while using the new language I’ve been studying. Italian classes have been challenging, yet so rewarding. I have been able to read famous Italian plays, perform skits in Italian, and write analytical papers on Italian texts. I have been consistently encouraged by my classmates and professors to work my hardest. Next year, I will be working for a staffing and recruiting firm in New York City. I hope to be able to continue speaking Italian, and look forward to my next trip back to Italy!

Keily Pacheco in Venice 

• Before I arrived at F&M, I was very interested in learning a new language.  After three semesters of Italian courses, I was very pleased that I was able to immerse myself with the language and its culture with great enthusiasm.  Choosing to pursue an Italian minor brought me joy throughout my undergraduate career because it opened the door to opportunities I never thought were possible.  For example, traveling to Italy with “F&M in Tuscany” was an opportunity that I never pictured myself taking advantage of.  Through this opportunity, I was able to better understand and speak the language, but most importantly I gained meaningful and reliable relationships with my classmates and professors.  I hope to return soon and continue to enhance my knowledge of the language, culture, and Italy's beautiful landscapes. Before I arrived at F&M, I was very interested in learning a new language. After three semesters of Italian courses, I was very pleased that I was able to immerse myself with the language and its culture with great enthusiasm. Choosing to pursue an Italian minor brought me joy throughout my undergraduate career because it opened the door to opportunities I never thought were possible. For example, traveling to Italy with “F&M in Tuscany” was an opportunity that I never pictured myself taking advantage of. Through this opportunity, I was able to better understand and speak the language, but most importantly I gained meaningful and reliable relationships with my classmates and professors. I hope to return soon and continue to enhance my knowledge of the language, culture, and Italy's beautiful landscapes.

Joanna D'Avella in Vicchio

• As a second-generation Italian, it was a goal of mine to gain a better understanding of the history and language that my grandparents experienced and knew. Because of the barrier language created in regards to conversations and shared experiences, family parties were often silent; in an effort to change this fact, I aimed to be able to connect with a side of my family that I otherwise could not. Studying abroad and connecting with my family’s history was life changing for me. Not only had I never imagined that I would have the opportunity to travel to Italy, but I also never knew I would eventually have the ability to communicate in Italian, explore ancient ruins, and visit museums of famous philosophers, scientists, authors, and artists. If it were not for the work and aid of professors in the Italian Department--who helped me through every obstacle and challenging grammar rule--I would have likely never had the courage to go abroad. Beyond graduation, I hope to continue studying the Italian language on my own, and hopefully, there will be opportunities to exercise the courage I obtained through my experience abroad as I travel more in the future. As a second-generation Italian, it was a goal of mine to gain a better understanding of the history and language that my grandparents experienced and knew. Because of the barrier language created in regards to conversations and shared experiences, family parties were often silent; in an effort to change this fact, I aimed to be able to connect with a side of my family that I otherwise could not. Studying abroad and connecting with my family’s history was life changing for me. Not only had I never imagined that I would have the opportunity to travel to Italy, but I also never knew I would eventually have the ability to communicate in Italian, explore ancient ruins, and visit museums of famous philosophers, scientists, authors, and artists. If it were not for the work and aid of professors in the Italian Department--who helped me through every obstacle and challenging grammar rule--I would have likely never had the courage to go abroad. Beyond graduation, I hope to continue studying the Italian language on my own, and hopefully, there will be opportunities to exercise the courage I obtained through my experience abroad as I travel more in the future.

Taylor Long in Florence

• I started studying Italian because my freshman year roommate was taking it and encouraged me to join her. I thought it would be fun to try something new and after my first semester, I fell in love with the language. Professor Lerner encouraged me to declare my minor after just one semester and I'm so happy I did!

I have been fortunate to travel to Italy twice now. The first time was in the Fall of 2017 where I studied abroad in Florence, Italy from the end of August to mid-December. I was able to travel around Italy and Europe and learn a lot about Italian culture. I also went abroad in Summer of 2018 to Cesano Maderno, Italy. In Cesano, I lived with a homestay and worked at a local church summer camp where I taught English and taught the children about American culture.

I've loved all my Italian classes here at F&M. All my professors have been wonderful and extremely helpful in and out of the classroom. The classes all balanced writing, speaking, reading and listening which I loved and the professors were always challenging me and pushing me to do my best.

I would love to continue using Italian outside the classroom and after graduation. It would be a dream to work in Italy one day but also anywhere I could continue to use the language and keep up with my skills would be wonderful. I started studying Italian because my freshman year roommate was taking it and encouraged me to join her. I thought it would be fun to try something new and after my first semester, I fell in love with the language. Professor Lerner encouraged me to declare my minor after just one semester and I'm so happy I did! I have been fortunate to travel to Italy twice now. The first time was in the Fall of 2017 where I studied abroad in Florence, Italy from the end of August to mid-December. I was able to travel around Italy and Europe and learn a lot about Italian culture. I also went abroad in Summer of 2018 to Cesano Maderno, Italy. In Cesano, I lived with a homestay and worked at a local church summer camp where I taught English and taught the children about American culture. I've loved all my Italian classes here at F&M. All my professors have been wonderful and extremely helpful in and out of the classroom. The classes all balanced writing, speaking, reading and listening which I loved and the professors were always challenging me and pushing me to do my best. I would love to continue using Italian outside the classroom and after graduation. It would be a dream to work in Italy one day but also anywhere I could continue to use the language and keep up with my skills would be wonderful.

Franklin Research Grant allows Professor Mackenzie to...

Professor Mackenzie writes from Italy about her research and plans to bring it back into the F&M...

Senior Spotlight: Marie Frazer '19 on Studying Abroad in...

After three years of Italian coursework on campus, Marie was well prepared for the challenge of...

The New Italy and the Jews: a new faculty publication.

Professor Scott Lerner has recently published The New Italy and the Jews: From Massimo D’Azeglio to...