6/13/2016

Alumni Profile: Brenda Segal '12

A joint major in Psychology and Women's and Gender Studies (now Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies), Brenda graduated from Franklin and Marshall in 2012. While at F&M she served on the executive board of the Alice Drum Women's Center, was president of VOX (Voices for Planned Parenthood) and conducted summer research as a Hackman Scholar with Professor Jeff Podoshen (see related article below). Her work with him resulted in a published essay --"An Examination of Materialism, Conspicuous Consumption and Gender Differences," in the International Journal of Consumer Studies (March 2013). Brenda won WGS's top senior award--the Angela Jeannet Award. 

After graduation, Brenda worked as the volunteer coordinator and operations manager for Adam Cook's congressional campaign in Virginia’s 1st District and then joined the Advisory Board Company, a health care consulting firm, for two years as a Senior Sales and Marketing Associate in Washington, D.C. She then became the Development Manager at WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease, where she combined her fundraising experience with her passion for advocating against disparities in health care for women. Brenda currently serves as the Development Manager at Miriam’s Kitchen, a nonprofit that works to end chronic homelessness in D.C. Brenda is thrilled to be at the front lines of making real change in the nation’s capital. A native Washingtonian, Brenda currently lives in downtown Washington, D.C., and loves to go to concerts, paint pottery, and explore the vibrant D.C. restaurant scene.

When asked about the impact of WGS on her career, Brenda offered these thoughts: "My Women’s and Gender Studies education at F&M has informed every step of my career so far.  WGS provided me with the vocabulary to advocate for causes important to women everywhere I go: the campaign trail, corporate America, the healthcare industry, and nonprofit organizations. Every day I am reminded of the fact that gendered perspectives informs all aspects of our life and without that insight provided to me by Allison Kibler, I never would have found my life’s driving motivational force."

Stretching the Boundaries of Multidisciplinary Studies

A joint major in psychology and women's and gender studies, Brenda Segal ’12 dives into a new area of study—market research.

• Brenda Segal '12 Brenda Segal '12
"My Women’s and Gender Studies education at F&M has informed every step of my career so far. WGS provided me with the vocabulary to advocate for causes important to women everywhere I go."
Brenda Segal '12

The Complicated History of the Women’s Suffrage Movement 100...

This year is the centennial mark for ratification of the 19th Amendment that granted women the...

WGSS Announces Alice Drum Summer Research Award 2020

The Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies Program is accepting applications for the 2020 Alice Drum...

Senior Spotlight: At F&M, Her Curiosity Grew, Her...

"As a first-generation college student, I had little idea of what to expect, and I’ve found a lot...