11/17/2017

Alumni Profile: Sabrina Yudelson '14

• Sabrina Yudelson '14 Sabrina Yudelson '14

Anthropology Major, WGSS Minor, 2014
Program Associate, Center for Ballet and the Arts, New York University

I have learned that the most interesting careers are often occupied by those who don't know what they want to be when they grow up. It isn't that they are indecisive or aimless; rather, they are nimble in their skill sets with interests abounding.

My liberal arts career, particularly my Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies minor and Anthropology major, propelled me toward a similarly dynamic path. I began with Teach for America Baltimore in a high school Spanish classroom. Upon my return home, I had the opportunity to join ABC News in their communications department. It was a pivot from the path on which I thought I was set, but I was eager to explore and gain new skills.

Had I received a more narrow-focused education, I may not have been prepared for such a transition. As it were, the WGSS program gave me the nuanced perspective and command of the English language that was critical for my position in a demanding, fast-paced environment. As I was promoted to another role at Disney|ABC Television Group in corporate communications and corporate citizenship, I relied even more on my ability to think critically and persuade, both in person and in writing. Luckily, WGSS professors provided ample opportunity for lively debate, which gave me the voice and confidence I needed in a powerhouse like Disney. These skills are a direct result of the rigorous course of study in which I participated at F&M.

Most recently I joined the Center for Ballet and the Arts at New York University where I manage our communications strategy, assist in executing events, and contribute to development activities. Our cornerstone fellowship program offers resources and financial support for the development of original artistic and scholarly work on ballet and its related arts. Fellows range from world-renowned filmmakers to philosophers to emerging choreographers, so I must engage thoughtfully with a variety of topics. In fact, some of our fellows' projects are rooted in the subjects I once discussed in Stager. For instance, how can we better support women choreographers, a discipline occupied primarily by men? 

I feel unyielding gratitude for the opportunity to engage with these sorts of questions each day. I am even more grateful for the WGSS department that helped make it possible.

Sabrina graduated from F&M magna cum laude and is a member of Phi Beta Kappa.

"The WGSS program gave me the nuanced perspective and command of the English language that was critical for my position in a demanding, fast-paced environment."
Sabrina Yudelson '14
  • Entrance to the Center for Ballet and the Arts at New York University, where Sabrina currently works Entrance to the Center for Ballet and the Arts at New York University, where Sabrina currently works

The Complicated History of the Women’s Suffrage Movement 100...

This year is the centennial mark for ratification of the 19th Amendment that granted women the...

WGSS Announces Alice Drum Summer Research Award 2020

The Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies Program is accepting applications for the 2020 Alice Drum...

Senior Spotlight: At F&M, Her Curiosity Grew, Her...

"As a first-generation college student, I had little idea of what to expect, and I’ve found a lot...