2/20/2018

Alumni Profile: Molly Horan Ferguson '00

• Molly Horan Ferguson '00 Molly Horan Ferguson '00

nd.English Major, WGSS Minor, 2000
Assistant Professor of English, Ball State University 

I majored in English at F&M with a minor in Women’s Studies, a combination that created the habits of mind and critical thinking pathways that have shaped my career. I am currently an Assistant Professor of English at Ball State University in Muncie, Ind., where I teach postcolonial literatures and Women’s and Gender Studies. After F&M, I completed an MA and PhD at the University of Connecticut, where I was surprised at how well being a senior preceptor for a first-year seminar prepared me to teach my own writing classes. Liberal arts at F&M taught me to ask complex questions, and to inspire playful curiosity in my students.

My research focus is contemporary Irish literature through a feminist lens, an interest that originated my junior year when I studied abroad in Galway, Ireland. This past summer, I brought that experience full circle by leading 12 students on a study abroad course in Dublin called “Gender in Irish Writing." Most of my students don’t have the means to study abroad, however, so my role is to bring the world to them through texts, images, and media that offer exposure to other cultures. I remember an experience from my senior year, when Dr. Padmini Mongia brought our Contemporary Indian literature class to an Indian restaurant -- that simple experience opened my mind to the many colors of curry, and what I might have been missing. I try to create those types of experiences in my own classes and seek out those moments for exploration in my research. 

"I majored in English at F&M with a minor in Women’s Studies, a combination that created the habits of mind and critical thinking pathways that have shaped my career."
Molly Horan Ferguson '00

Green Cinema Series Delves into Humanity’s Deep Impacts on...

Earth’s oceans are vast—and so is its list of aquatic woes. And, according to scientists, it has...

F&M’s Global Barometer of Gay Rights Receives $200,000 Grant

The Franklin & Marshall Global Barometer of Gay Rights (F&M GBGR), a first-of-its-kind measure of...

How an ‘Amish’ PAC Tried to Mobilize the Old Order Community

In 2016, a group that supported Donald Trump’s campaign for president tried to mobilize Amish...