2/20/2018

Alumni Profile: Molly Horan Ferguson '00

• Molly Horan Ferguson '00 Molly Horan Ferguson '00

nd.English Major, WGSS Minor, 2000
Assistant Professor of English, Ball State University 

I majored in English at F&M with a minor in Women’s Studies, a combination that created the habits of mind and critical thinking pathways that have shaped my career. I am currently an Assistant Professor of English at Ball State University in Muncie, Ind., where I teach postcolonial literatures and Women’s and Gender Studies. After F&M, I completed an MA and PhD at the University of Connecticut, where I was surprised at how well being a senior preceptor for a first-year seminar prepared me to teach my own writing classes. Liberal arts at F&M taught me to ask complex questions, and to inspire playful curiosity in my students.

My research focus is contemporary Irish literature through a feminist lens, an interest that originated my junior year when I studied abroad in Galway, Ireland. This past summer, I brought that experience full circle by leading 12 students on a study abroad course in Dublin called “Gender in Irish Writing." Most of my students don’t have the means to study abroad, however, so my role is to bring the world to them through texts, images, and media that offer exposure to other cultures. I remember an experience from my senior year, when Dr. Padmini Mongia brought our Contemporary Indian literature class to an Indian restaurant -- that simple experience opened my mind to the many colors of curry, and what I might have been missing. I try to create those types of experiences in my own classes and seek out those moments for exploration in my research. 

"I majored in English at F&M with a minor in Women’s Studies, a combination that created the habits of mind and critical thinking pathways that have shaped my career."
Molly Horan Ferguson '00

WGSS/ADWC Senior Celebration 2017

The Alice Drum Women's Center and Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies Program joined forces to...

WGSS/ADWC Senior Celebration 2018

The Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies program and the Alice Drum Women's Center gathered in...

Alumni Profile: Czarina Hutchins '15

Czarina Hutchins '15, a joint major in WGSS and History, describes how she came upon her job as an...