2/26/2018

Alumni Profile: Shanni Davidowitz '14

• Shanni Davidowitz '14 (second row at center) and some of her colleagues from the office of the District Attorney of New York. Shanni Davidowitz '14 (second row at center) and some of her colleagues from the office of the District Attorney of New York.

American Studies Major, WGSS Minor, 2014
Investigative Analyst at the New York County District Attorney's Office

For the past three years I worked as an Investigative Analyst in the Cold Case / Forensic Science Unit at the New York County District Attorney's Office. Graduating from F&M with a major in American Studies and a minor in Women's and Gender Studies (WGS) prepared me for success from the get-go. As part of my job, I was required to keep up with the fast-paced advances of DNA testing and proper methods of presenting DNA evidence at trial. I then took this knowledge and relayed it to the Assistant District Attorneys, who presented it in court. Every day I applied the critical reading and analytical skills I refined in my WGS courses in order to parse out the relevant information on changes in DNA technology and discern how these changes would affect my colleagues' day-to-day work.

Aside from working with the DNA testing, I worked extensively on preparing a 1991 homicide of a four-year-old girl for trial. This involved reading thousands of pages of police reports, medical records and tips, as well as interviewing police officers, first responders, and the victim's family. The skills I learned as a WGS minor allowed me to succinctly summarize the overwhelming amount of information and keep an eye out for important details, all while remaining focused on the larger picture. Additionally, as a WGS minor, I learned new vocabulary and how to look more critically at gender and identity as social constructs. This nuanced way of thinking allowed me to connect to more witnesses and victims, and therefore provide more assistance. As a WGS minor, I learned an incredible amount in the traditional academic sense, but I also broadened my horizons by learning how to communicate from an entirely new perspective.

"The skills I learned as a WGS minor allowed me to succinctly summarize the overwhelming amount of information and keep an eye out for important details, all while remaining focused on the larger picture. "
Shanni Davidowitz '14
  • Shanni Davidowitz '14 Shanni Davidowitz '14

The Complicated History of the Women’s Suffrage Movement 100...

This year is the centennial mark for ratification of the 19th Amendment that granted women the...

WGSS Announces Alice Drum Summer Research Award 2020

The Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies Program is accepting applications for the 2020 Alice Drum...

Senior Spotlight: At F&M, Her Curiosity Grew, Her...

"As a first-generation college student, I had little idea of what to expect, and I’ve found a lot...