5/29/2018

Alumni Profile: Czarina Hutchins '15

• Czarina Hutchins '15 Czarina Hutchins '15

WGSS and History Joint Major, 2015
Admission Counselor, Providence College, Providence, Rhode Island

I am the poster child for the value of a liberal arts education. I went through my college search process with the full intention of majoring in something business-related or perhaps communication, as I thought that would be the only way I would be employable by the time I graduated. The core curriculum at F&M, as well as the great professors and academic advisors I had, showed me that there is worth in the humanities and the social sciences.

I came upon my current work as a bit of an accident. After graduation I found myself back in my hometown, East Oakland, California, and unemployed looking up jobs online. I had worked in the Office of Admission all four years at F&M as a student ambassador and a tour guide, so I figured I would use those skills I acquired  -- walking backwards and answering parents’ questions while half asleep -- to my advantage and took a job as an Admission Counselor at Providence College. I had no idea I would find my passion within higher education.

These last three years working at PC have spurred my interest in access and inclusion within PWI’s (predominantly white institutions), and higher education as a whole. My firm understanding of institutionalized racism and intersectional feminism, gained from my time as a joint major in History and Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies, makes me a better counselor. My major studies, coupled with the liberal arts’ emphasis on the significance of a wide breadth of knowledge, mean I can meet students where they are even if we have little to no similarities in our backgrounds.

Looking back, I am so thankful F&M forced me out of my comfort zone, especially in my WGSS classes. I became comfortable feeling uncomfortable (and not just because of the Keiper desks), and I will always remain grateful for it.

"Looking back, I am so thankful F&M forced me out of my comfort zone, especially in my WGSS classes. I became comfortable feeling uncomfortable (and not just because of the Keiper desks), and I will always remain grateful for it."
Czarina Hutchins '15

2019 Rouse Scholars Find Empowerment in Their Endowment

Deliberate and self-assured, Lydia Shaw and Glory Jacquat, Franklin & Marshall College’s newest...

Now Hour: Impeachment Politics and the 2020 Election

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73GRvNjYPgw Jennifer Kibbe Stephen Medvic Matthew Schousen...

Faculty Panel Discusses Impeachment Inquiry

As the U.S. House conducts its inquiry into President Donald Trump’s alleged attempt to convince...