5/04/2020 Ann L. Wagoner

Alumni Profile: Karolina Heleno '18

WGSS and English/Creative Writing joint major, 2018
Arcus Social Justice (SJ) Program Assistant

New York City

As the SJ program assistant I support the Arcus SJ team with all administrative responsibilities, the development of strategic grantmaking and the coordination of international and domestic travel.

The WGSS major completely shaped my career and life post grad. There is not a day that goes by when I don’t think about Feminist Theory with Prof. Day, where I learned about my particular positionality and the dynamics of power, disability and desire, or about Media Feminism with Prof. Kibler, where my life was completely changed after studying Spike Lee’s She’s Gotta Have It and understanding the longlasting effects of forced sterilization in poor communities and U.S. territories.

The WGSS major helped shape my values, gave me the vocabulary to name power structures and ultimately gave me the tools to critically question and analyze systems. Now as a “funder” in the social justice world, I am deeply appreciative of all the unpacking and unlearning I did in community with my peers. With my WGSS major I felt prepared to join the social justice movement with humility and always with the goal of liberation in mind. My professors were such strong and tender leaders and because of them and the pressing issues in my community, it has become my life’s work to advocate for a “not-mars” future where we are all free of oppressive systems.

• Karolina Helano '18 Karolina Helano '18
"The WGSS major helped shape my values, gave me the vocabulary to name power structures and ultimately gave me the tools to critically question and analyze systems."
Karolina Heleno '18

WGSS Announces Alice Drum Summer Research Award 2022

Students are invited to apply for the 2022 Alice Drum Summer Research Award in WGSS.

Alone Together: Sophomore Found Supportive, Sincere Group of...

The pandemic changed how students respond and adapt to challenges. In this ongoing series, Franklin...

Afghanistan to Italy: A Young Migrant’s Odyssey

Fabio Geda, author of the acclaimed 2010 novel, “In the Sea There are Crocodiles,” and his book's...