5/04/2020 Ann L. Wagoner

Alumni Profile: Karolina Heleno '18

WGSS and English/Creative Writing joint major, 2018
Arcus Social Justice (SJ) Program Assistant

New York City

As the SJ program assistant I support the Arcus SJ team with all administrative responsibilities, the development of strategic grantmaking and the coordination of international and domestic travel.

The WGSS major completely shaped my career and life post grad. There is not a day that goes by when I don’t think about Feminist Theory with Prof. Day, where I learned about my particular positionality and the dynamics of power, disability and desire, or about Media Feminism with Prof. Kibler, where my life was completely changed after studying Spike Lee’s She’s Gotta Have It and understanding the longlasting effects of forced sterilization in poor communities and U.S. territories.

The WGSS major helped shape my values, gave me the vocabulary to name power structures and ultimately gave me the tools to critically question and analyze systems. Now as a “funder” in the social justice world, I am deeply appreciative of all the unpacking and unlearning I did in community with my peers. With my WGSS major I felt prepared to join the social justice movement with humility and always with the goal of liberation in mind. My professors were such strong and tender leaders and because of them and the pressing issues in my community, it has become my life’s work to advocate for a “not-mars” future where we are all free of oppressive systems.

• Karolina Helano '18 Karolina Helano '18
"The WGSS major helped shape my values, gave me the vocabulary to name power structures and ultimately gave me the tools to critically question and analyze systems."
Karolina Heleno '18

WGSS Endorses NWSA Statement

The F&M WGSS Program Committee endorses the National Women's Studies Association's statement in...

WGSS Celebrates Class of 2020

WGSS students and faculty gathered virtually to celebrate the class of 2020.

The Complicated History of the Women’s Suffrage Movement 100...

This year is the centennial mark for ratification of the 19th Amendment that granted women the...