Student Presentations and
Students who engage in chemistry research typically have the opportunity to co-author articles publised in nationa, peer-reviewed journals. The department ranks in the top 1% of liberal arts colleges in number of pubications and percentage of student co-authors. The department's level of productivity ranks it as one of the top undergraduate research programs in the nation.
Recent Publications (students are in Italics, faculty mentors are in bold):
- Bazewicz, C. G.; Liskov, M. T.; Hines, K. J.; Brewer, S. H. Sensitive, Site-Specific, and Stable Vibrational Probe of Local Protein Environments: 4-Azidomethyl-L-Phenylalanine. Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 2013, 117, 8987-8993.
- Leber, Phyllis A.; Nocket, A. J.; Hancock-Cerutti, W.; Bemis, C. Y.; Khine, W. K.; Mohrbacher III, J. A.; Baldwin, J. E. “Gas Phase Thermal Reactions of exo-8-Cyclopropylbicyclo[4.2.0]oct-2-ene (1-exo),” Molecules 2014, 19, 1527-1543.
- Bazewicz, C. G.; Lipkin, J. S.; Smith, E. E.; Liskov, M. T.; Brewer, S. H. Expanding the Utility of 4-Cyano-L-Phenylalanine as a Vibrational Reporter of Protein Environments. Journal of Physical Chemistry B 2012, 116, 10824-10831.
- Leber, P.A.; Mann III, G.R.; Hancock-Cerutti, W.; Wipperman, M.F.; Zohrabian, S.; Bell, R.M.; Baldwin, J.E. Thermal Isomerizations of cis,anti,cis-Tricyclo[7.4.0.02,8]tridec-10-ene. Journal of Organic Chemistry 2012, 77, 3468-3474.
- Leber, P.A.; Bell, R.M.; Christie, C.W.; Mohrbacher III, J.A. A Vinylcyclobutane Substrate Designed as a Cyclopropylcarbinyl Radical Probe. Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry 2013, 11, 2080-2083.
- Leber, P.A.; Nocket, A.J.; Wipperman, M.F.; Zohrabian, S.; Bemis, C.Y.; Sidhu, M.K. Experimental Evidence of a Cyclopropylcarbinyl Conjugative Electronic Effect. Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry 2013, 11, 5994-5997.
- Freymeyer, N.J.; Cunningham, P.D.; Jones, E.C.; Golden, B.J.; Wiltrout, A.M.; Plass, K.E. Influence of Solvent Reducing Ability on Copper Sulfide Crystal Phase. Crystal Growth & Design 2013, 13, 4059-4065.
- Heller, L.E.; Whitleigh, J.; Roth, D.F.; Oherlein, E.M.; Lucci, F.R.; Kolonko, K.J.; Plass, K.E. Self- Assembly of Mono-Functionalized Thiophenes. Langmuir 2012, 28, 14855-14859.
- Pasteris, J.D.; Yoder, C.H.; Sternlieb, M.P.; Liu, S. Effect of Carbonate Incorporation on the Hydroxyl Content of Hydroxylapatite, Mineralogical Magazine 2012, 76, 2741-2759.
Opportunities abound for students to travel and showcase their research. Our students have journeyed nation-wide presenting research papers and participating in research poster sessions at numberous national chemistry meetings, such as ACS (American Chemical Society), Biophysical Society, ISCC (Intercollegiate Student Chemists Convention), and NOS (National Organic Symposium).
Recent Presentations (students are in Italics, faculty mentors are in bold):
National ACS Meetings, 2014
- C. Y. Bemis (mentor: P. Leber): CPC radical clock as a diradical probe and rate enhancement from cyclopropyl conjugative stabilization in the thermal rearrangement of spiro[bicyclo[4.2.0]oct-2-ene-7,1'-cyclopropane]
- Andrew Dippel (mentor: C. Phillips-Piro): Assessing structural effects of unnatural amino acid incorportation into model system GFP
- N. J. Freymeyer (mentor: K. Plass): Effect of Solution Species on Relative Incorporation Of Metals in Chalcogenides
- I. J. Fucci (mentor: E. Fenlon): Progress toward the synthesis of sterically protected and resonance stabilized hydrocarbon radicals
- M. R. Herling (mentor: M. Thomsen): Probing the mechanism of the photochemical reaction of phthalaldehyde
- C. Kim (mentor: K. Plass): Phase-Selective Solution-Based Synthesis of Copper Iron Sulfide Nanoparticles
- A. Lakin (mentor: E. Fenlon): Synthesis of novel macrocyclic musk compounds: Examining the intricacies of olfaction
- J. Liegeot (mentor: M. Thomsen): Effect of solvents on electrophilic aromatic substitution of amides
- G. C. Oppenheim (mentor: M. Thomsen): Photochemical acetalization of para-substituted benzaldehydes
Intercollegiate Student Chemists Convention, Albright College, Apr. 2014
- C. Y. Bemis (mentor: P. Leber): Thermal Chemistry of Spiro[bicyclo[4.2.0]oct-2-ene-7, 1’-cyclopropane] (Received first place in the Organic Division.)
- M. Carney (mentor: C. Yoder): The Use of Isotopic Labeling to Study Carbonate Incorporation in Apatite
At first glance, the large instrument, which has its own room in Franklin & Marshall College’s Barshinger Life Sciences and Philosophy Building, appears like an ordinary microscope.Read More
Franklin & Marshall College has been awarded a grant from the National Science Foundation Division of Chemistry to help new chemistry faculty successfully apply for their first federal grant.Read More