6/19/2015

Alumni Profile: Laura Wolf '00

• Laura Wolf '00 Laura Wolf '00
History Major, 2000
Member Services Director, Berkshire Visitors Bureau

As a history major at F&M, I learned the importance of primary sources. Although it may seem unlikely, that was crucial to becoming a marketing director. While at my previous job at Hancock Shaker Village, I was charged with sharing the Shaker story with the public. Describing an extant religious sect with all of their successes, challenges and controversies meant having a meaningful understanding of how they would want to be portrayed, and how those visiting our museum might interpret what they were experiencing. This meant careful readings of Shaker manuscripts and music, as well as meeting the current Shakers in person at Sabbathday Lake, Maine.

In my current position as Member Services Director for the Berkshire Visitors Bureau, I still go to primary sources for the best material to share with potential visitors. Tourism plays an essential role in the economic health of our region in western Massachusetts, known for its wealth of cultural amenities and scenic beauty. Our marketing features imagery and text that inspire people to experience the Berkshires, and the more I know of our members’ offerings, the more authentic and impactful that marketing will be.

"As a history major at F&M, I learned the importance of primary sources. Although it may seem unlikely, that was crucial to becoming a marketing director."
Laura Wolfe '00

F&M History Professor Offers a Historical Perspective of...

History professor Secil Yilmaz  recently recorded a podcast episode  about a historical pespective...

'Authoritarianism or Democracy' to Feature Gosse, Chomsky,...

F&M History Professor Van Gosse will participate with Noam Chomsky and Ty dePass in a webinar...

Remembering Prof. Matthew B. Hoffman

Prof. Matthew Hoffman is remembered by Franklin & Marshal College colleagues.