7/13/2015

Alumni Profile: Hilary Green '99

History Major/Africana Studies Minor/Pre-Healing Arts Concentration, 1999
Assistant Professor of Race and Gender Studies, University of Alabama

The wonderful faculty, courses, and peers in the History Department inspired me to never shy away from the hard “why” questions and to creatively find socially-aware answers to them both in the corporate world and academia. As a result, I am never afraid to embark on new challenges because my training has prepared me to think critically, research broadly, and write cogently--all of which are the necessary building blocks for success.

After graduating from F&M, I held several corporate jobs before pursuing a M.A. in History at Tufts University and then a Ph.D. in History at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I joined the faculty at Elizabeth City State University (ECSU), a public HBCU (Historically Black College or University) in the University of North Carolina system, upon receiving my doctorate in 2010. During my four-year tenure at ECSU, I combined my love for teaching, history, and service through several public historical collaborations with the N.C. Humanities Council, the Museum of the Albemarle, the Elizabeth City Department of Parks and Recreation, and the Pasquotank-Camden Public Library.  I was also able to work with many first-generation students, non-traditional students, and military veterans using my undergraduate experience as a template for both instruction and mentorship.

In 2014, I joined the faculty in the Department of Gender and Race Studies at the University of Alabama. Roll Tide! I now teach both undergraduate and graduate students in courses examining issues of race, class, gender, and sexuality in pre-1920 African American, U.S. and Atlantic World history.  In addition, I have been able to focus on my publications. I contributed an essay to an anthology on the effects of the Civil War in the urban South in November 2015, and my book, Educational Reconstruction: African American Schools in the Urban South, 1865-1890,  will be released by Fordham University Press on April 1, 2016. I am currently working on a second book manuscript on African-American memory of the Civil War.

Whether as a workflow analyst for a corporate concierge, as a graduate student intern on an American Experience documentary for PBS, or currently as a professor at the University of Alabama, I am proud to say that my history degree from F&M provided the foundation for who I am today. 

Giving Back: A Family Tradition

Hilary Green '99 and her father, Nathaniel Green '73, discuss the importance of giving back to their alma mater in this article from the Spring 2016 issue of F&M Magazine.

Legacy and Loyalty Spring 2016
  • Hilary Green '99 Hilary Green '99
"I am proud to say that my history degree from F&M provided the foundation for who I am today."
Hilary Green '99

Mueller Fellow Tells Stories to Illustrate Immigration...

Sandra Cisneros, a dual citizen of the United States and Mexico and a noted author and activist,...

Three Alumni Discuss 1969 Protest, Racial Consciousness at F&M

Benjamin Bowser ’69, Adrian Lamos Jr. ’72 and LeRoy Pernell ’71 never looked back when they...

Civil Discourse in Our Uncivil Age

For his Sept. 26 Common Hour topic, “Millennials and the Future of Civil Discourse,” Alexander...