8/25/2015

Alumni Profile: Chad Wright '11

History Major, 2011; Winner of the John A. Andrew III Award, 2010
Child and Family Case Manager at the Centre County Youth Service Bureau, Pennsylvania 

If I’m honest, I haven’t used my history degree in a traditional way. After graduating, I felt myself drawn toward public service. Initially skeptical of how far my history degree would take me in the world of social work, I quickly learned that liberal arts skills – clear communication, detailed research, asking the “next” question, and dissecting dense, legal language – are exactly what governmental and social services need today.

Along with a core of meaningful and marketable skills, my degree cultivated a set of intangibles that sets me apart from graduates of other schools. The history department at F&M challenged me to see an event, a year, or even a decade from a varied, vibrant, and global set of perspectives. As I work with at risk and immigrant children, the ability to be open to cultural diversity and the willingness to see life from myriad viewpoints are essential components of my day. Less glamorously, those hours spent in the library looking for books, citing sources, and identifying the missing links in my arguments instilled a great, lasting patience, one that allows me to serve clients today.

Perhaps more importantly, a degree from F&M opens doors. Twice, I have landed a job before I even stepped into the interview. In both instances, my supervisors knew (and told me at the time) that a history degree from F&M indicated that I could think, communicate, and perform at a level above my peers. F&M’s degrees carry weight!

• Chad Wright '11 (in center, with baseball cap), poses with some children and community members at a summer program held in conjunction with Big Brothers Big Sisters. Chad Wright '11 (in center, with baseball cap), poses with some children and community members at a summer program held in conjunction with Big Brothers Big Sisters.
  • Chad Wright '11 Chad Wright '11
"Initially skeptical of how far my history degree would take me in the world of social work, I quickly learned that liberal arts skills – clear communication, detailed research, asking the 'next' question, and dissecting dense, legal language – are exactly what governmental and social services need today."
Chad Wright '11

Mueller Fellow Tells Stories to Illustrate Immigration...

Sandra Cisneros, a dual citizen of the United States and Mexico and a noted author and activist,...

Three Alumni Discuss 1969 Protest, Racial Consciousness at F&M

Benjamin Bowser ’69, Adrian Lamos Jr. ’72 and LeRoy Pernell ’71 never looked back when they...

Civil Discourse in Our Uncivil Age

For his Sept. 26 Common Hour topic, “Millennials and the Future of Civil Discourse,” Alexander...