10/19/2015

Alumni Profile: Joel Berg '91

• Joel Berg '91 Joel Berg '91

History Major, 1991; Winner of the Frederick C. Schaeffer Prize in History, 1991
Editor, Central Penn Business Journal

I came to F&M wanting to be a history major. The experience was better than I could have expected: I learned about nationalism and imperialism, the Vietnam and Revolutionary wars, and sexuality in the Middle East. Sure, I picked up a lot of information that some might see as useless. But I also honed a skill that’s essential in today’s world: the ability to dive deeply into a sea of information—without getting overwhelmed—and make sense of it.

I use that skill every day as a journalist, whether I’m trying to understand health care reform, grasp the impact of the California drought or adapt to the changes technology is bringing to the gathering and reporting of news. Information comes at you from all directions. My time at F&M gave me the skill and confidence to handle that steady stream. And you never know when you’ll be called on to explain the breakup of the Ottoman Empire.

"Information comes at you from all directions. My time at F&M gave me the skill and confidence to handle that steady stream."
Joel Berg '91

"Fast Forward with Joel Berg"

"Fast Forward with Joel Berg" is Joel's blog on the Central Penn Business Journal website. Click below to visit his blog page.

Mueller Fellow Tells Stories to Illustrate Immigration...

Sandra Cisneros, a dual citizen of the United States and Mexico and a noted author and activist,...

Three Alumni Discuss 1969 Protest, Racial Consciousness at F&M

Benjamin Bowser ’69, Adrian Lamos Jr. ’72 and LeRoy Pernell ’71 never looked back when they...

Civil Discourse in Our Uncivil Age

For his Sept. 26 Common Hour topic, “Millennials and the Future of Civil Discourse,” Alexander...