11/20/2015

Alumni Profile: Jacob Walter '05

• Jacob Walter '05 Jacob Walter '05
History Major, 2005
Director of Domestic Affairs (a.k.a. Stay-at-Home Dad)

After graduating from Franklin & Marshall in 2005, I moved to Boston with my future wife. Over the past 10 years we have explored the rich history and activities Boston has to offer. Soon after the move, I was putting my history degree to work for the Bostonian Society at the Old State House as part of the visitor relations team. In my role, I helped American history come to life for visitors through tours of the historic building, the site where the Declaration of Independence was first proclaimed in Boston in 1776. 

I maintained my connection to the Bostonian Society and the Old State House for some time, before eventually moving into the publishing industry. In 2008, I made a career change from publishing to teaching. I was looking for something more personally fulfilling and felt that working with children would do that. I landed a job teaching elementary school and coaching baseball and cross-country at a nearby high school. Within weeks, I was sure that I had made the right choice. It was my time studying and working in the History Department at F&M that showed me what a difference an invested teacher or professor can make in a student's life (the teacher was Maria Mitchell and the student was me). I carried this with me as I worked to build meaningful relationships with my students and athletes to help them grow and thrive. My coaching career has resulted in my being named the conference coach of the year, and earning the position of head baseball coach at Boston University.

In August 2013, my wife and I welcomed our daughter into our family. As a family, we decided that I would take some time off from teaching in the classroom to be a stay-at-home dad while continuing to coach baseball. The past two years have been rewarding and challenging, and I wouldn't change them for the world.  My history degree from Franklin & Marshall has taught me to think critically about the past, while living in the present.

"My history degree from Franklin & Marshall has taught me to think critically about the past, while living in the present."
Jacob Walter '05

Mueller Fellow Tells Stories to Illustrate Immigration...

Sandra Cisneros, a dual citizen of the United States and Mexico and a noted author and activist,...

Three Alumni Discuss 1969 Protest, Racial Consciousness at F&M

Benjamin Bowser ’69, Adrian Lamos Jr. ’72 and LeRoy Pernell ’71 never looked back when they...

Civil Discourse in Our Uncivil Age

For his Sept. 26 Common Hour topic, “Millennials and the Future of Civil Discourse,” Alexander...