2/21/2018

Alumni Profile: Meghan Godorov '06

• Meghan Godorov '06 Meghan Godorov '06

Joint Major in Psychology and Women’s Studies with a minor in Sociology, 2006
Career Coach and Speaker for Mid-Career Professionals, 
Meghan Godorov Consulting, LLC

A liberal arts education prepares you to be flexible. As an entrepreneur, you must be that and many other qualities such as ambitious, cautious (at times), calculated, curious and open-minded. Since graduation, the educational and social foundation that F&M gave me has proven useful time and time again in the ways that it leverages and fosters these characteristics within me both personally and professionally. I’ve focused my career on the empowerment of mid-career professionals to have high-quality workplace experiences. This drive is predicated on my primary motivator, people. I studied them tirelessly at F&M and continue to do so today. My path to business ownership allows me the freedom to serve people in the ways that I see fit and experiment with how I deliver services, the content I share and the ways in which I interact with a variety of clients and constituent groups to compound my impact. In sum, business ownership, just like my liberal arts education allows me to pursue in depth my innate interests and remain open to and curious to topics outside of my traditional scope to keep growing and learning about myself and the world around me.

Building a career that lasts for my clients means that I must fail and prevail myself, seek to understand how my interests and skills work together and avoid internalizing setbacks while continuing to seek out opportunities for growth, many of which overlapped throughout my last almost 12 years since graduation. First, I worked in reunification and preservation services, understanding the social services field, the interaction of mental health, safety and governmental effects on family dynamics. Knowing that this work would not be mine forever, I moved on to get a Master’s Degree in Higher Education and Student Affairs with a concentration in college counseling licensure, which allowed me to focus on uniting students with their passions instead of parents with their children. For five years at Mount Holyoke College in Western Massachusetts, I developed leaders, trained students and young alumni in navigating their careers and started experimenting with business ownership and assisting mid-career professionals in their twenties and thirties.  

Looking back at that time in my life (2001-2016), I realized that I was unhappy because I was outgrowing the work that I was doing in higher education and turned to developing my business as a challenge that inspired me. I connected frequently with fellow female entrepreneurs in the area and nationally, I started building my brand in various communities regionally and nationally, with the eventual opportunity to present internationally to Kenyans on professional branding! I felt alive and proved to myself that taking initiative pays off. With the support and encouragement of a long-time mentor and sponsor as well as my family and friends, I left my position at Mount Holyoke in February 2016 and moved back to Pennsylvania to pursue my business full-time.

I know that I have developed and matured professionally as a result of this change and due to the balancing of both paid and volunteer work that encouraged my growth in so many ways. That experimentation, willing to say yes and try something new is very similar to the environment that F&M promoted.

It is now more important than ever that we own our career journeys and both frequently and conscientiously reflect on what opportunities to seek and how to make the most of them to always be growing professionally and personally. We can rely on our excellent education at F&M, harness its gifts and marvel at the “slow-build” of success that it affords us.

To connect with Meghan, please feel free to reach out via LinkedIn, visit her website of find her on social @MeghanGodorov (Twitter and Instagram).

"It is now more important than ever that we own our career journeys and both frequently and conscientiously reflect on what opportunities to seek and how to make the most of them to always be growing professionally and personally. We can rely on our excellent education at F&M, harness its gifts and marvel at the 'slow-build' of success that it affords us."
Meghan Godorov '06

‘Stereotype Inoculation,’ the Solution to Scarcity of Women...

Professor Nilanjana Dasgupta began her Sept. 20 presentation by having the audience imagine a...

Economist Robert Kuttner is Economics Van Dyck Lecturer

Robert Kuttner, co-founder and co-editor of The American Prospect, a political and public policy...

STEMing the Tide: How Female Scientists and Peers Act as...

Nilanjana Dasgupta Professor of Psychology, Director of Faculty Equity & Inclusion, College of...