2/26/2018

Alumni Profile: Lauren Dever '13

• Lauren Dever '13 Lauren Dever '13

Sociology Major, WGSS Minor, 2013
Special Education Teacher, Cooperative Educational Services / Graduate Student, Special Education 

Since graduating with a major in Sociology and a minor in Women's and Gender Studies (WGS) in 2013, Lauren Dever has received her certification as a special education teacher for students K-12. She currently works for Cooperative Educational Services, a public outplacement school for students who need more intense support emotionally and/or behaviorally. Lauren is also pursuing her Master's Degree in Special Education at Southern Connecticut State University.

Lauren is a passionate advocate for the disempowered in our society.  When asked about the impact of her education on her career, she offered these thoughts: "F&M encouraged me to analyze privilege and discrimination. I learned to think critically about how societal views are constructed about race, socioeconomics, and ability. These issues are prevalent in the field of special education--no student fits a stereotype or label. With my students, I am conscious of how I frame issues related to gender, race, class, sexuality, and ability. And when I teach students about the world, I do my best to impart the critical thinking and questioning skills I developed at F&M."

"I learned to think critically about how societal views are constructed about race, socioeconomics, and ability...When I teach my students about the world, I do my best to impart the critical thinking and questioning skills I developed at F&M."

WGSS Endorses NWSA Statement

The F&M WGSS Program Committee endorses the National Women's Studies Association's statement in...

WGSS Celebrates Class of 2020

WGSS students and faculty gathered virtually to celebrate the class of 2020.

Alumni Profile: Karolina Heleno '18

Karolina Heleno '18, a WGSS and Creative Writing joint major, is a Social Justice Program Assistant...