2/26/2018

Alumni Profile: Lauren Dever '13

• Lauren Dever '13 Lauren Dever '13

Sociology Major, WGSS Minor, 2013
Special Education Teacher, Cooperative Educational Services / Graduate Student, Special Education 

Since graduating with a major in Sociology and a minor in Women's and Gender Studies (WGS) in 2013, Lauren Dever has received her certification as a special education teacher for students K-12. She currently works for Cooperative Educational Services, a public outplacement school for students who need more intense support emotionally and/or behaviorally. Lauren is also pursuing her Master's Degree in Special Education at Southern Connecticut State University.

Lauren is a passionate advocate for the disempowered in our society.  When asked about the impact of her education on her career, she offered these thoughts: "F&M encouraged me to analyze privilege and discrimination. I learned to think critically about how societal views are constructed about race, socioeconomics, and ability. These issues are prevalent in the field of special education--no student fits a stereotype or label. With my students, I am conscious of how I frame issues related to gender, race, class, sexuality, and ability. And when I teach students about the world, I do my best to impart the critical thinking and questioning skills I developed at F&M."

"I learned to think critically about how societal views are constructed about race, socioeconomics, and ability...When I teach my students about the world, I do my best to impart the critical thinking and questioning skills I developed at F&M."

Two Music Department Faculty Nominated for Grammys

Two Franklin & Marshall College faculty members in the Department of Music – Doris Hall-Gulati and...

The Challenge of Translating ‘The Odyssey’

That she is the first woman to translate “The Odyssey” into English holds little import to Emily...

Translating the Odyssey

Translating the Odyssey: Why and How?

Emily Wilson Professor of Classical Studies and Graduate Chair of Comparative...