4/04/2018

Alumni Profile: Megan Lipset '15

• Megan Lipset '15, right, with a graduation coaching group. Megan Lipset '15, right, with a graduation coaching group.

Psychology Major, WGSS Minor, 2015
Special Project Assistant to the Executive Director, Year Up Greater Philadelphia 2016-18

Leadership Team, Year Up Greater Philadelphia

I graduated with an understanding that I wanted to do impactful work but without a clear vision of how  to do so. F&M gave me the critical thinking, writing, and problem solving skills that I needed to find my path. Minoring in Women's and Gender Studies opened my eyes to the vast structural inequalities ingrained in our society that make it difficult for certain genders, races, and ethnicities to succeed. With each class I took, my passion grew and my world view changed.

Upon graduation I earned a fellowship working for Year Up Greater Philadelphia, an organization that connects underserved young adults to corporate jobs through professional skills training, college credits, and an internship in corporate America. The work we do provides opportunity for people who are motivated, skilled, and bright but do not have access to opportunity simply because of the zip codes they were born into. We not only connect people to careers, we help solve a business need within corporate America. With over 12 million entry-level jobs unfilled in our country there is a need to attract skilled individuals who may have historically been overlooked. Year Up provides a pathway to a career that has positive impact on generational poverty.

My fellowship connected me to an organization that I was passionate about and my educational
background gave me the skills and tools to get me where I am today. After my fellowship year I secured a job with Year Up on our executive leadership team, managing special projects, supporting all of our teams, serving as a thought partner to our Executive Director, keeping a pulse on our sites, and continuing to close the opportunity divide in America.

When I think back to my liberal arts education I am thankful for the opportunity to find my passion through the exploration of majors, classes, and intellectual debate. Women's and Gender Studies opened my eyes to the change that I want to make on the world and as I continue to grow and shape my career. I will always be grateful for that.

"Minoring in Women's and Gender Studies opened my eyes to the vast structural inequalities ingrained in our everyday life that make it difficult for certain genders, races, and ethnicities to succeed. With each class I took my passion grew and my world view changed."
Megan Lipset '15
  • Megan Lipset '15 with some colleagues Megan Lipset '15 with some colleagues

WGSS Endorses NWSA Statement

The F&M WGSS Program Committee endorses the National Women's Studies Association's statement in...

WGSS Celebrates Class of 2020

WGSS students and faculty gathered virtually to celebrate the class of 2020.

Alumni Profile: Karolina Heleno '18

Karolina Heleno '18, a WGSS and Creative Writing joint major, is a Social Justice Program Assistant...