The College sets aside two weeks in the spring, the "Major Declaration Period," during which sophomores declare their majors. At that time, faculty meet with students to declare the major.

F & M offers two majors in English: the literature track and the creative writing track. The requirements for each major appear in the Catalog or can be accessed online from the English Department website. Once you are ready to declare your major, you may select any continuing English Department faculty member to serve as your adviser [visitors and part-time faculty do not serve as academic advisers]. Only those students planning to undertake a joint major are required to declare the major with the English Department's Associate Chair. Otherwise, students may select their academic advisers, regardless of which track they wish to pursue. That is, you're not required to declare the creative writing track with a creative writer and the literature track with a literature professor: any continuing faculty member in English can advise you on either track. Typically students like to select a professor they know, one with whom they've undertaken coursework.

You should visit the professor during his or her office hours [which are posted on the professor's webpage and are available from our department coordinator, Deb Saporetti, at x4058]. Or you can make an appointment with the professor if you're not free during his/her posted hours. Please bring to that meeting a copy of your degree audit report and the appropriate projection worksheet, which you can download from this page.

The major declaration meeting is the time at which you'll discuss with your new adviser your ideas about competing the Explorations component of your requirements. Explorations are fulfilled in one of three ways: by taking a cluster of courses [either suggested clusters, that you can find in the Catalog, or a cluster that you and your adviser design]; by declaring a minor in another department; by declaring a second major. If you are planning to undertake a cluster exploration, you and your adviser will enter that on the DIS later in the semester, when you meet with him/her during preregistration, at which point your adviser will have access to your screen on the DIS.

The meeting to declare your English major is also a good time to talk about plans or thoughts you may have for off-campus study. The English Department encourages students to study off campus, and we work hard to help you make it work. Generally speaking, it's easiest for us to substitute courses taken off campus for your English electives. We do, however, make substitutions for the 201-210 sequences where the course material is similar. We require students to take their 400-level seminars/advanced creative writing workshop in residence here at F&M. The chair of the department authorizes the actual substitutions the semester before you leave; all the paperwork is available at the Off-Campus Studies office, from Dean Sue Mennicke with whom you'll meet first to plan off-campus study. It's a good idea, however, to chat with your major adviser about your off-campus plans, even if they're still tentative; it will help your adviser in planning with you your movement through the major.

English Major and Minor Declaration Process 

The first step in the major-minor declaration process is to complete one of the English Department's projection worksheets (see templates below).

Please note:  It is required that you complete your projection worksheet form in consultation with your English Department academic advisor.

After finishing this step, access the Registrar Form Request and select the form titled Major/Minor Declaration Form (for seniors, juniors & sophomores) from the drop-down menu.  Once your request has been received, an electronic form will be prepared by the Registrar's Office and sent to you to complete.  

The final step for approval is to upload all of the necessary forms according to the Registar's Office instructions.   The Registrar's Office will then send these forms to Professor Emily Huber, English Department Chair, for final approval. 

Please note: Your major-minor declaration will not be approved by Professor Huber without your projection worksheet, so be sure to upload it with the completed Registrar's Office major-minor declaration form.


Joint Major Declaration/Projection Form 

Please consult with English Department Associate Chair, Professor Padmini Mongia, to complete this form.